What to do in an electrical emergency?

Electrician Buckeye

Damaged wirings and faulty appliances are the cause of fire fatalities in our home. It’s important that you don’t avoid the smallest electrical fault as it can turn in to the big issue anytime. In any kind of electrical emergencies, it’s important that you call Electrician Buckeye. But before he arrives there are a few things that you can do to save from any kind of major loses.

Electrical shocks – Electric shocks are the most common electrical emergencies

The common causes of electrical shocks are:

  • Appliances – Sometimes when appliances are too old, the wirings inside it get frayed which increases the risk of electrical shocks. You should replace the old appliances after a few years if you don’t want to experience an electrical shock.

  • Faulty wirings – Like appliances, when the wiring in your old home gets old, you can face electrical shock. Damaged wires also cause flickering of lights and house fires. You can avoid the emergencies caused due to faulty wirings if you pay attention to it in the early stages. Notice if your breaker is tripping frequently and your outlets are burnt. These are the sign of faulty wires. Address them on time to prevent further complications.

  • Damaged extension cords – Extension cords which are old and damaged should be replaced immediately because they can damage the connected appliances and can shock as well.

  • Water – Electrical appliances should be kept away from the water. Water can damage your appliances. The places with moisture should have GFCIs (Ground fault circuit interrupters) like in kitchen and bathroom.

Electrical fires – During electrical fires, you should follow the steps:
  • Cut down the power – Flip the switch of your breaker in order to cut down the power. If the fire has not started yet or is in the initial stage, this should stop it from spreading. It is also helpful as it makes it safer to deal with the fire. You can use many resources to subside the fire.

  • Fire extinguishers – All the members of the family should be well trained to handle the fire extinguisher. Class A fire extinguishers are water based and should be used in the condition when power was switched off and Class C extinguishers have carbon dioxide or dry chemical which should be used when the power is not turned down. Both the extinguishers should not be used interchangeably. In case you don’t have a fire extinguisher you should know how to use other resources like a fire blanket or water. Don’t use water if you haven’t turned down the power.

  • Call 911 – Vacate the building as quickly as possible and avoid the inhalation of hot air. Call 911 to get a help.

Advance preparations are always better when it comes to electrical faults. Call your electrician to inspect the faults in the wirings so that he can fix it before it gets more complicated. Be prepared and keep the number of an electrician in the place where you can find it easily and have fire extinguishers in your home, offices, and industries.
Electrical emergencies are frightening but it’s important that you don’t lose cool at that crucial time. A person who is a victim of electric shock may lose his consciousness, his pulse may be weak and there may be burn marks on his body. Get medical help as soon as possible to prevent further complications. You should keep the body of the shocked person warm until the help arrives. Also, make sure no any other family member get close to the area where the accident happened or touches the shocked person because they can get shocked as well.

Tutorials

circuit breakercommercial electricianelectrical contractors near meelectrical emergencyelectrical faultElectrical fireselectrical repairelectrician near meExtension cordslicensed electricianresidential electrician

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Call Now